Inspired by Maria’s Blue Chiffon Dress from “The Sound of Music”
- ”Maria’s Gazebo Dress” is the perfect Sound of Music costume to wear for a Sound of Music sing-along, theater production, party, or any special occasion! This delicate feminine dress has all the charming details this costume is best remembered for – honeycomb smocking at the neckline and waist, a gathered bodice worn with a fitted belt, and delicate flutter sleeves. Edelweiss Patterns is pleased to offer this vintage pattern which is rated for intermediate seamstresses. While “Maria’s Gazebo Dress” pattern is a 1930s-40s vintage style, it is just as lovely worn today.
- "Maria’s Gazebo Dress” pattern has all sizes 6-20 printed on sturdy white paper which will last for years. To view the Edelweiss Patterns sizing chart, click here.
- This pattern contains the option for either honeycomb smocking or machine shirring on the inset panels at the neck and waist. If you have never learned to smock, don’t worry! We’ve created a step-by-step tutorial for how to honeycomb smock. But if you prefer to avoid smocking by hand, the machine shirred version is a cinch!
- The fitted belt creates the most flattering silhouette when worn over the gathered bodice. In the front the belt covers the entire ribcage area, and dips around in the to a low “v” in back. This 1930s style was taken straight from the Medicis sash of the 1860s (think “Gone with the Wind”, with a bit of influence from the Edwardian dipped belts of the 19-teens as well. You can even wear this belt separately over a casual peasant style top to cinch in the waist for a much more flattering style!
- Recommended fabrics for "Maria’s Gazebo Dress" include: Chiffon, chiffon georgette, voile, batiste, or organza. Recommended linings for this dress include: China silk (habotai), Bemberg rayon, lightweight polyester or acetate lining.
- If you love the “Maria von Trapp” look but don’t want to recreate the entire dress, you can easily sew a blouse from this pattern by simply lengthening the bottom edge of the bodice front and back, replacing the zipper with a button closure in back, and wearing the belt from this pattern over the blouse for a lovely heirloom top!
Happy sewing! Edelweiss Patterns
Please note: This pattern and design is copyrighted by Edelweiss Patterns and may not be used for commercial production, garment sales, costume rental, or other business purposes. It is to be used for private home sewing and theatrical productions only.